We had a ward activity at the end of March at a local skating rink. Neither of the boys had ever been skating before, so it was interesting experience.
Patrick hated it. I think it was just too hard and tiring for him to get any enjoyment out of it. Even with Leonard and me holding his hands just a few times around the rink was more than enough for him. After 5 minutes he was good to go.
Lenny loved it. It took him a few turns around to get the hang of it, but after that he did really well. He keeps asking when we can go back and when he can have his own set of roller blades. I am not completely against getting him some roller blades. I just have few apprehensions. My first worry is that his interest will fade quickly. Once around the cul-de-sac and then the skates will spend the rest of their life taking up space in the garage. Secondly, he is at a young age were feet growth can happen quickly. So, even if he does get out the roller blades often I worry they won't get enough good use before they get too small. Maybe Patrick will change his mind in a few years and the skates can just be passed down. I don't know. I am not big on buying something just because my kid asks for it, so I am still on the fence. I will have to price them out, then maybe make Lenny work for them.
2 comments:
I remember you and your roller-blades. That was something I never figured out - always clinging to the wall! haha.
Conner was invited to a roller skating party recently but since he had never done it before, we opted out of going. I knew my help on the skating rink would be useless!
Glad that Lenny had fun. That is a tough one -- I would also be hesitant becuase they grow so fast.
We got some adjustable rollerblades at Target for about $20. They aren't fancy, but they work for kids and they last for several years of foot growth. My girls love to rollerblade, but they don't do it a ton. It comes and goes in phases. I always figure that they can get passed down to the next sister!
Post a Comment