Okay, so I never got around to updating. Sorry you are still not going to get any pictures of the house but I will give you a quick run down of what has been keeping me busy lately.
Before closing on our house Leonard was driving the boys a little over an hour to school every morning on his way to work and I was picking them up in the afternoon. Making it about a 3 hour round trip car ride for all of us 6 days a week (that includes church on Sunday).
For those who want the quick version of the rest scroll to the bottom.
The Friday before closing on our house I was rear ended on the way home from picking the kids up from school.
The following Monday we stuck around after school for a final walk thru.
Tuesday after school we closed and then went back to my parents house to pack as much of our stuff into the car as we could.
Wednesday we dropped the kids off at school for the last time then went to the house to met the movers. We had tried to line up most of the utilities but things did not go smoothly. We had phone but the power was out when we arrived Wed. After a few phone calls we were told the electricity could be turned on for an extra same day service fee. We paid the fee and had power within an hour. It was a long day of moving in but things went fairly well.
Thursday the kids ride the bus for the first time and we find water in our basement near water heat and a/c. Clean it up and lay down paper to track it. Check back down a few hours later water is everywhere again. Turn off a/c for the night to stop leakage. Try to get our internet working.
Friday call A/c guy. He comes out and says it is just a dirty filter causing the water problem. I do not believe him, but he assures me that is it. I then try to hop in the shower to find that water has been shut off. Apparently they did not get our fax to not turn the water off. A long wait on the phone and I finally get some one to come turn the water back on. I then check on the a/c. There is water all over the place again. I call a/c guy back and he says he will return ASAP. While waiting I decide to check the mail. While doing so I lock myself out of my house. I then go to the neighbors to call my mom to get Leonard's phone number off of caller ID b/c I do not have it memorized yet. Then call Leonard to ask him to come home to unlock the house for me. He is suppose to be in a meeting in 10 minute but b/c the a/c guy is coming back he tells his boss he will be a little late and rushes home to let me in. Upon returning from my neighbors I find a business card on my front door letting me know that the a/c guy stopped by while I was in my neighbors house. Leonard gets home, lets me in and I call the a/c guy again and apologize for not being there and ask if he could come back. He comes back and finds that our drainage pipe from the a/c unit is clogged. He unclogs it and problem is fixed.
Meanwhile we have discovered that our washing machine did not survive the move. It was wrapped in plastic when it came off the truck, but when we unwrapped it it was falling apart. It is missing its front legs and the frame is all unscrewed. There is no way the drum will spin properly, the whole thing would fly apart.
Saturday we return to my parents to pick up extra stuff we could not fit in our first trip and do much needed laundry.
Monday we have a 100 year flood and about 1/3 of the power in our house goes out, including our a/c, stove, oven and microwave. It comes back on, so all though strange, I think well maybe it had something to do with the storm. Spent hours on the phone trying to get our internet to work.
Tuesday the kids are out of school because of the flooding in the area and the power in the house goes out again. But it is a gorgeous day. Patrick get bit/stung by something while playing outside and is hysterical. I have no clue what happened because I was not outside with him. There are no signs of anything on his hand where he says he was bit, but he is obviously in pain. Not knowing what to do I call 911. They ask if I want them to send someone out. NO! I just want advice on what is best to do for an unknown insect bite. Being new to GA I wanted to make sure there was not some common poisonous insect I was not aware of.. They gave me a number to a children's health hotline. I was told to soak it in cold water and give hime tylenol and benadryl followed by hydrocrtisone cream. Well I had tylenol and that was it. I finall got Patrick to keep his had in some cold water and he stopped screaming. I gave him the tylenol, then asked our neighbor if they had any benadryl or cream. They did not but knew a friend in the neighborhood who is always prepared, so got some meds for us. Patrick kept his hand in the cup for the rest of the night. But was able to sleep fine. There was never any physical sign of a bite or sting on his hand, so I still have no idea what happened except that Patrick said it looked like a big ant and what ever it was it made Patrick go into a panic, pacing around the kitchen shaking his hand and screaming. Oh, and the power goes out again.
Wednesday I call out an electrician to get a phone jack installed in the 'office' and have him try to diagnose the electric problem. He said it is a power source problem, so I need to call the electric company. The electric company comes out and uses their equipment to locate the source of the problem and dig a hole in the ground to the cables to discover one of the electric cables to be almost completley disinigrated. I am not sure how our house was getting any power at all. But that was not the only problem. They had to dig 2 more holes and were still not sure if the problem was fixed but it was dark and approaching 9pm, so they hooked up a generator so we could have power for the night. Did I mention that this whole time we were with out any power at all b/c the power had to be off for them to repair the line.
Thursday morning the electric company comes back out again, resolves the issue and we have power. Finally get the internet working as well. But that afternoon walking thru the house I discover that we have water in our basement. I guess the heavy rain was too much. It was just in one corner, so not too bad, but we are still in the process of trying to get some one out to fix the problem. Also I am finally able to submit a claim for our broken washing machine and drop off my car to get repaired and get us signed up for trash pick up
Friday I follow up on my claim to find it was never received. I submit an other claim and receive a message later in the day that someone will be contacting me about coming out to take a look at it.
Saturday I go to the laundry mat to do laundry and go to the Relief Society Broadcast.
Monday I scheduled the washing machine inspection for Wednesday and tried to schedule someone for the basement leak but no luck yet. And still unpacking.
Recap:
car crash, closing, no electricity, broken washing machine, no water, a/c leak, flood, power outage, bug bite, water in basement.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh my goodness Tamera! That is way too much to have to go through in just 2 weeks . . . and on top of a move!
We had the same problem with our A/C 2 weeks ago. The unit that was leaking is in our garage so the water was seaping into our house (the hallway), leaving a puddle in the carpet. Luckily we have a friend who does heating/cooling so he could fix it for us right away (and we could trust his diagnosis).
Okay, I'm really hoping the worst is over for you guys. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!
ok...you've had the week from H-E-L-L! I'm so sorry! We had our power out for 3 days, 3 years ago and I still chalk it up to one of the worst experiences of my life. You don't realize how much you depend on it for EVERYTHING!
I hope things get better soon. And that the flooding stops. We are expected to get flooding this winter. I told Sean I wanted a generator for Christmas....I can't do no power again...it was awful.....we love you and hope things get better soon:)
WOW! I think you should submit this to a film company. I think it would be a big seller. I am sorry that is crazy. We are excited to see you at Christmas time:)
Post a Comment